Alexander Shifrin, MD
9920 4th Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11209
Early Years: It runs in the family
Alexander Shifrin was born in 1959 in Saint Petersburg (then Leningrad), Russia, into the family of a physician. His mother, an otorhinolaryngologist (ear-nose-throat specialist), enjoyed a distinguished medical career and introduced Alexander early to the challenges and rewards of the medical profession. When the time came for Alexander to choose a professional field, he knew exactly what he wanted to do for the rest of his life. He applied to and was accepted at one of the leading medical schools in the country, the prestigious State Medical University of Saint Petersburg (formerly the First Leningrad Medical Institute).
Medical School: State Medical University of Saint Petersburg, Russia
Since its establishment in 1897, the State Medical University of Saint Petersburg has been one of the leading research and teaching medical institutions in Russia. As a student, Alexander was exposed to the highest standards of modern medical education as well as the best traditions of the old Russian medical school. His teachers included such prominent scientists as Prof. M.G. Prives, Prof. N.M. Amosov, Prof. B.M. Fedorov, and Prof. Alamazyan. Alexander graduated at the top of his class in 1982 and, after completing a required internship program, began working as an attending physician in one of Saint Petersburg’s maternity hospitals.
Residency: Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York
Following his immigration to the United States, Dr. Shifrin was accepted at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine OB/GYN residency program, one of the world’s foremost centers for medical and scientific training. Dr. Shifrin had the privilege of undergoing rigorous and comprehensive training under the tutelage of world-renowned doctors. He graduated from the program in 1996.
Post-Residency Years: Director of Women’s Health Services, William F. Ryan Community Health Center, New York
Dr. Shifrin spent the first five post-residency years caring for an underserved community with extensive prenatal concerns as the Director of Women’s Health Services at the William F. Ryan Community Health Center in Manhattan. This position, with a high level of responsibility and decision-making authority, provided opportunities for Dr. Shifrin to further build his clinical and surgical skills.
Building Success and Teaching Aspiring Doctors: Attending Physician and Associate Director of the OB/GYN residency program at the Long Island College Hospital, New York
In 2000, Dr. Shifrin joined Continuum Health Partners, a prestigious New York hospital network that includes Beth Israel, St. Luke’s-Roosevelt, Long Island College Hospital and New York Eye & Ear Infirmary. He served as an attending physician and oversaw training of residents as the Associate Director of the OB/GYN residency program at the Long Island College Hospital campus. During this period in his career, Dr. Shifrin also advanced his research interests in colposcopy and cervical pathology by serving as the Head of the Long Island College Hospital Colposcopy Clinic.
Establishing Private Practice
In 2004, Dr. Shifrin realized his life’s ambition by establishing a solo private practice, where his education, training, experience, and medical philosophy were put to service to benefit his patients. Since its establishment, Dr. Shifrin’s practice has grown rapidly, and in October 2007, he opened another location in Manhattan.
First Leningrad I P Pavlov Med Inst, St Petersburg, Russia
Diplomate of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Assistant Clinical Professor, State University of New York
30 years of successful OB/GYN practice
More than 3,000 babies delivered
Featured on ABC News, as a guest presenter on “Healthy Life” show, 2007
Recipient of American Medical Association Recognition Award, 2004–2005
Nominated as one of the America’s top OB/GYNs by the Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2004–2005
Honored by Mayor Rudolph Giuliani with the New York City Council Citation for the “exemplary service to the community,” 2001